Wine Conterno Fantino, "Vigna Del Gris", Barolo DOCG, 2007
The wine is ruby-red color with garnet highlights.
The wine is smooth, silky, well-balanced flavor, generously fruity tones highlighted with light oak nuances, due to the long aging in barrels. The long aftertaste felt soft tannins.
Sweet, elegant and sophisticated fragrance of the wine reveals notes of juicy dark red fruit, especially blackberry, nuanced colors, menthol and spices.
The wine is an excellent accompaniment to grilled or stewed meat, fondue, traditional Italian dishes, truffles, mature cheeses.
Grapes for wine production, "Vigna del Gris", Barolo is collected on the same vineyard with a total area of 3 hectares, located in the historic area Ginestra, in the commune of Monforte d'Alba. In the vineyard grow as the old vines (0.6 hectares), and the young shoots (2.5 ha), planted in 2000. Located at an altitude of 300-320 meters above sea level, the vineyard has a south-eastern exposure. Vineyard soils contain 47% sand, 37% silt and 16% clay, so that the wine here is a more structured, full-bodied and soft. Harvesting is carried out in the first half of October (usually from 10 to 20 of the month), the average yield is 1.2 kg per vine. The maceration and fermentation lasts for 7-10 days in steel tanks with rotating blades. Part of the wine (50%) is aged for 24 months in small oak barriques, the remaining 50% - in large 500-liter oak barrels. Then the wine is aged in bottle another 12 months.
In 1994, in the village of Bricco Bastia on a hill it was built a new winery, which offers a beautiful panoramic view of the mountains. The company is equipped with modern technological base, containing separate compartments for vinification, aging and bottling of wine. Respect for the environment is very important for us, so the work of the winery is based on the use of natural renewable energy sources: 70% provides a geothermal plant, the remaining 30% - solar panels.
The main component of the company's success Conterno is a Fantini everyday painstaking work by Claudio Conterno and Guido Fantine in the vineyards and in the winery. Claudio was the first in Piedmont, began using organic methods of growing grapes, which led to a significant improvement in the quality of wines. In turn, a talented winemaker Guido, guided by their experience and inner flair, creating a powerful and at the same time delicate, balanced wines. Today, Fantini farm Conterno is a leading representative of the modern school of winemaking Barolo. Its feature is the shorter period of fermentation and maceration of the grapes 2-2.5 weeks and subsequent wine aging in small French oak barrels (barriques) and new oak casks. This approach allows you to create a deep, well-structured wine with generous fruit flavors and complex flavor. The company owns 25 hectares of vineyards, where grapes are grown Nebbiolo, Dolcetto, Barbera, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay. The basic philosophy of the economy - extremely attentive and caring attitude to the vineyards, the result of which is the creation of high quality wines. These wines are both powerful and colorful, elegant and sophisticated, which can be used both at a young age, so after 10-15 years of aging in the bottle. To date, 50% of the company's products Conterno Fantino implemented in Italy and the remaining 50% exported to the US and 30 other countries around the world.